Learning with Moomin
To highlight Tove Jansson’s centenary, one kindergarten in Espoo, Finland have decided to use Moomin as a theme in both education and play for their youngest children. Kindergarten teacher Saana Alanko thinks that Moomin fits well with their education plans:
- Most of the children already know Moomin in some way and although they don’t have to participate in the activities if they don’t want to, everyone has been really enthusiastic. We started out with some small initial ideas of what we could do and now we just keep on coming up with more says Saana.
The education plans include a lot of different areas such as counting, drawing and singing, and Moomin as a theme works well with all of them. It all started with Moomintroll coming to visit the children one day (he popped out of a bag and introduced himself) and the Moomin theme will end with a party where the parents are invited to see what the children have created, all while snacking on delicious Moomin biscuits.
- That way the children get a clear beginning and an end of this theme Saana explains.
Saana’s suggestions for using Moomin with kindergarteners:
- Painting with Moomin - creating recognisable shapes with paint - for example handprints become white Hattifatteners and feet form Grokes.
- The Moomin song bag - each card in a bag has an image and a song that relates to Moomin, the children then get to pick a card from the bag and everyone sings the song together.
- Colouring with Moomin - the children get to fill in the colours on preprinted black and white images or draw the characters themselves.
- Learning about emotions through the characteristics of the different Moomin characters such as Little my being angry or Sniff being afraid.
Greatest Twitter typo ever
if you ever see something referred to as “the word for […] in Aboriginal”, ask which Aboriginal language - there are hundreds! not just dialects, hundreds of languages; more than one for each Aboriginal nation.
just as there’s not one European language, one Asian languge, one Native American language (North or South), or one African language, but many of each…
KABUKI rash guard back in stock! These quickly sold out of stock when first released, but Gawakoto just got only 100 in from the factory: You can order now right here: http://store.gawakotoclothing.co.uk/The SCARAB women’s rash guard from Gawakoto is now finally available for online order! You can order it online right here at this link!
Great video review of the new KABUKI Gi, from the makers of this KABUKI rash guard KABUKI sportswear. Very informative and visual video/audio review:
Licia Ronzulli, member of the European Parliament, has been taking her daughter Vittoria to the Parliament sessions for two years now.
Parenting: You’re doing it right.
wonderful! I love the technique of scanimation, and the cat popping in and out of the last image is extra fab
Analyzing English Grammar, Klammer, Schulz, & Della Volpe, p. 21
you guys my grammar book is sassy
Some Hag-Knights I promised to scan!
The rough round one’s “Agda” and the Armored one’s “Dominia”, they’re bitter rivals.
If anyone know a story starring veteran warrior ladies let me know btw!
Yay for old women warriors!
Human Evolutionary Genetics, University of Cambridge
Except when they prefer not to talk with their spouse :-P